Trying to get GPS polling to work on XPR radios.

Please start a new thread for each new topic. Topics may end up in the FAQ ...
richcanning

Trying to get GPS polling to work on XPR radios.

Post by richcanning »

I've got two XPR7550 portables and an XPR5550 mobile radio that I'm trying to trial with TransTRBO for a non-profit I work with.

I'm able to interface with the Mobile via the USB connection in the back and use PTT, etc directly controlling the radio. I'm also able to send text messages to my portables via TransTRBO (TT). I haven't yet been able to poll the GPS location on the radios. I know the radios are configured to work properly with GPS, since I've turned it on with my CPS software, but No matter what type of location request I set up, the request times out.

Any ideas? Is there a configuration or Firmware issue I'm encountering here?

Rich Canning
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Trying to get GPS polling to work on XPR radios.

Post by Administrator »

Hi Richard,

There are several parts to enabling GPS.

1. Configure the Radio Via CPS - you must enable both GPS and ARS and set their destination radio ID to ID of you base Station.
(If GPS is enabled and ARS is disabled the radio will not transmit GPS data).
Note: This snip if from a radio that doesn't have GPS installed.

2. Ensure that TransTRBO application has GPS Enabled and also enable the built in ARS server (if you don't have an ARS server anywhere on your network)

2a). Open the TransTRBO Configuration property sheets by clicking its icon in the menu toolbar or from the system menu (refer help file).

2b) From the Configuration property dialog sheets - Select Data Services Settings page and set the appropriate valuesImage

2c) Then select GPS/LRRP Server settings page and set the appropriate values

3. Finally, select the Location Tab and use:
3a) Update Lists to create a list of Radio's to be interrogated.
3b) Load List to load/start an interrogation of GPS positions

A pdf is available here:
http://www.transtrbo.com/files/TransTRBOGPS.pdf

I hope that helps - if not please let me know as I have a handy little tool that will allow you to test the GPS setup.

cheers
Will
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
richcanning

Post by richcanning »

I'm still not getting anywhere with this. If the Radio ID of my control station is 001, I've populated the appropriate field of CPS for all of the radios and the control station with this value and I still get a time out when I initiate a load list in Transtrbo.

Any ideas?
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Richard,

Will you please email Phill about this - he can check what you are doing with your radios.

As soon as I get a chance, I'll send you a test program that will help check the lower level GPS controls.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
GaryL245

Post by GaryL245 »

:( I'm having a problem building the GPS poll table. I'm using a Motorola 7550 for the control station and a Motorola 5550 for the remote radio. I can send priority messages and text messages to the radio no problem so I know I'm getting to it. The 5550 code plug and TransTRBO have been modified per the instructions on the forum. When I go to build the GPS Request Header List table I can fill the new entry in but as soon as I do a save, I get an error screen that is mostly in Chinese charactors. (I've sent this screen to Will). No matter what I do, I can't fix it. It's saying there are 13 fields in the GPS Request Header List, but I am only supplying 11 fields. (Will, we may have had some confusion on this error message and the one for the zones/channels). SEPARATE ISSUE = I had (Have!) a problem with the zones/channels, but after a hassle was able to enter them manually. Still can't get them to fill in the list although they are showing up on the bottom of the screen. Over All, lots of progress in getting where I want to be. Thanks for all the help. -- Gary
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Gary,

From your email trail - I assumed you may have fixed the problem. I'll try and look at the SQLite problem today (I'm us MySQL).
I'm glad the character are Chinese (otherwise they may have been profanities) :oops:

I remember adding extra fields so maybe I didn't add other code ...

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Gary,

Are you using an SQLite database file from a previous version of TT?

Any way what you'll need to do is delete 2 x tables from the SQLite database:
1. Download the sqlite_utils.zip and unzip it into the folder where you SQLite database is stored (if not sure check the configuration Path).
2. Open a Command box in that folder
3. Create a backup copy of your *.db file (TT_????.DB where ???? is to be replaced by your radio serial number)
3. In the command box type

Code: Select all

sqlite3 TT_????.DB
4. at the sqlite> prompt: type each line and press Enter (see screenie)

Code: Select all

drop table GpsRequestLineTable;
drop table GpsRequestHeaderTable;
5. press Ctrl-C to exit
6. Restart TransTRBO and try create a Poll list again

Try stopping and exiting TT and then restarting and adding another Poll list etc., to see if the problem is fixed.
Thanks. :D

http://www.transtrbo.com/files/sqlite_utils.zip

cheers
Will

FYI: go.bat - is a batch file which has my SQLite file name hard coded in it - you could change this to your specific DB's filename
similarly with anal.bat
Living proof 2021
GaryL245

Post by GaryL245 »

Will, I am most likely using the same SQLite database I started with. I will go through your instructions and then change the database. I'll let you know how it's working in the morning (yours..) Thanks, -- Gary
GaryL245

Post by GaryL245 »

Will, I am working my way through all the functions of the TransTRBO program and have run into a snag, GPS Polling. I have gone through all of the information that you have listed above. I can now get the polling list to fill and can be modified. I have configured the radio's correctly (I think?????) I'm having a problem with the ARS Server. When I poll, I get an UNKNOWN response for the ARS Server in the BASE STATION window to the left of the map. I do not get any response from the radios (I have several set up. The radio I am using has an ID number of 3145027, one of the user radios is 3145028. I'm not sure what the ARS Radio ID is suppose to be, I'm assuming (???) it's 3145027, the ID number of the radio connected to TT. We can make voice and message contacts between all of the radios and TT. Help????? -- Gary (I'll get back to you later on what I was thinking on the ICONS. It may not be anything important as I learn how to use the software..)
GaryL245

Post by GaryL245 »

From CPS:
ARS Radio ID
The Automatic Registration Service (ARS or also known as Presence Notifier) Radio ID is the ID of the radio that is connected to the ARS server that the user intends to communicate with for data services. When the radio powers up, it announces its presence by communicating with the ARS server. The server then checks if the radio user is valid and grants access accordingly.

Notes
Users are recommended to assign the ARS Radio IDs of radios acting as control stations to be 16448250 with a Common Air Interface (CAI) Network setting of 12. This allows the air interface network IP of the ARS server to be derived as 13.250.250.250.

This feature is supported in Digital mode only.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will, Above is what CPS says about filling out the radio ID for the control radio. In the radio network I am on, there are very specific assigned ID'd. The radio that I am using for my control radio is a Motorola 7550 with a radio ID of 3145027 (this equates to an IP address of 13.47.253.67.) I am not making any progress in getting the User radio to respond or to get the ARS to acknowledge that it is talking to the control radio. When I poll the user radio ( 3145028 ), it's not being seen. and the post before this one is true. -- Gary