On the drawing board

Please start a new thread for each new topic. This will allow for easy tracking and hopefully, contributions by others
Mad4Radio

Re: On the drawing board

Post by Mad4Radio »

Looking forward to its release will, keep up the good work pal
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

I have successfully tested 1 x voice channel over my cabled Network to my LapTop via WIFI.
The recording format was 11.025 kHz, Mono, 16-bit.
Collection sample frequency was 20 Hz
TCP/IP data was uLaw encoded.
Binary packet size was 557 Bytes.
Network Jitter Buffers was set at 5 x packets (250 mSec lag).

The LapTop speaks/receiver was quite understandable - even to an old deaf duffer like me.

The pre-recorded *.WAV file playback works (in echo mode - i.e. how I did my initial testing).

I will now be starting on the multiple client PTT/adjudication design/coding.

cheers
Will B

Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,
Things have been a bit hectic on the personal front and most of this has been pushed to the back burner for the last few weeks.

Good news today is:- using the Binary Interface, I VoIP'ed from a USB gaming headset to my mate's factory over the radio network.

Server Side
I am using the same PC to run the Server and the "Pseudo Operator Console" and I found it's a bit of a pain setting Windows7 up to use the on-board Audio's Line-In/Line-Out facilities (Probably simple for those of you who understand "Audio" terminology ;) )...

I've added a screen shot of the Server Side setup for that configuration (Radio #2 - Zero based)...
Each Base Station Radio connected to the server has it's own configuration page - it could be interesting to see a setup that uses the full 8 x Base Station radios with Voice to/from all radios and operators (includes intercom) ..

The "Primitive" instructions (and there are a few - just for the Radio Command/Control part) all appear to be working correctly in both Binary and Text modes (caveat on Text Voice TCP/IP packets atm as I haven't tested it).

Client Side
Here is another screen shot of a Client/Operator dialog where I was using the Dialog's PTT Button to Send/Receive/Record Voice activity for the #2 radio on our Test Channel. The Screen shot has captured the Call transactions including my PTT Release, send of some buffered (Jitter) buffers, Radio into Hang time and then receiving the start of voice back from Phill.

I have added a few more primitives i.e. PTTOn, PTTOff for sending Call and PTT transactions for Group, Private and Alert to the Radio.

The Commands to get to the above stage were:-

[Connect Button on Dialog]
RadioConnect
GetConnected (Required for PTT aka Voice-Out)
RegisterCall (Required for Voice-In & PTT)
RegisterVoice (Required for Voice-In & PTT)
GetVoiceParameters (Required for Voice-In & PTT)
[Dialog Start Audio Button is now enabled]
[Press Dialog Start Audio Button - Required for Voice-In and PTT]
RegisterPTT (Required for PTT)
[Dialog PTT Button is now enabled]
[FYI I normally play a canned *.WAV file just to check]
PlayWavFile - just for testing connectivity and voice quality

Getting closer - just for you Mike NO7RF ;)

cheers
Will B
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

I now have PTT On/Off and Radio/Client/Operator-Intercom VoIP working.

It is interesting when you have 2 x client instances running on 1 x PC and you use PTT and speak - Windows mixes the audio (I am using the same headphones for all client audio instances) so you can hear your voice on the other instance (never the same instance) - which is a bit disconcerting due to the delay from the Network VoIP jitter buffers.

Still lots of personal hiccups but hopefully I'll be able to get a few of you trying this soon (before moving on to Data Services, Text, LRRP(GPS), ARS etc).

I will now be looking for any "coding" nutters ;) who would like to test these Text and or Binary interfaces.

Oops :oops: I will add some login credentials so that others on the network can't login to the Server/Service - which requires a Win Box to run. The clients can be anything which handles Text/Binary over TCP/IP.
(I will also add some registration so the Server/Service cannot be used without authority).

FYI: A Server requires a user to be logged in to run, whereas a Service will run as long as the PC is powered on.

cheers
Will B
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

The Windoze test client (Binary and Text) is approaching completion and I am now working on some doco to go with it - attached is an example from a word2007 API description.

I have asked a couple of long time HAM helpers to do some testing - hopefully they'll agree.

Now back to work ...

cheers
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

For those who are interested:-

I am now in the final stages of coding/testing a Web Registration and Update interface between TTServer/TTService and this Web Site (http://www.transtrbo.com).

FYI: It uses the Windows Version of OpenSSL on the TTService/TTServer(client end) and a PHP version of OpenSSL on the Web Server end.

The knowledge I've gained here should now allow "Secure" connections between the TTServer/TTService server and any of its networked clients.

When this is working to my satisfaction, I will be seeking some volunteers to test the basic Windows networked Server and clients.
(To Volunteer: Please contact me via my personal email or from here: http://www.transtrbo.com/support.php ).

TTService SERVER
The TT/Service/Server must run on the Windows OS - I'm not sure how it will handle a VM atm.

The current Server MOTOROLA(TM) DMR functionality is Radio Control and Voice only.

TTService CLIENTS
The ASCII, UNICODE and Binary Protocol API between network clients and server will be published for those users wishing to write their own Network client applications i.e. on other platforms or in other languages.

The MFC VC++ Source project for the basic Windows Network client will initially be available to developers - "on request".

Future
The Digital aspects: GPS, Text, ARS are not as complex and hopefully will follow soon.

cheers
Will B
Living proof 2021
fireman1374

Post by fireman1374 »

What is the progress on this? It looks very interesting. Do you need any help with this? From what I've read, it looks like you have accomplished a lot of success with the server and client.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi fireman1374,

It's getting closer all the time - "mechanically" it has been working for ages.
The hurdles have been
  • adding some security to help me control how it is distributed and
  • user documentation
The first is nearly complete - I'm just testing it with 3 x of the 4 x applications in the suite.
These 3 x application programs communicate (using SSL) with the http://www.transtrbo.com web site for online registration and login credential storage.
TTHostSetup.exe - sets up and maintains the TTServer Network parameters, Control Radio(s) parameters and Network User(s) (aka client) parameters.
TTServiceDlgApp.exe - runs the TTServer application in a windows dialog (requires user attendance)
TTService.exe - runs the TTServer application as a Windows Service (for un-attended operation)

User documentation required:
  • TTHostSetup.exe - setup notes (mostly done)
  • ASCII, Unicode (big endian and little endian) and Binary TCP/IP LAN protocol definition (OMG :o )
  • LAN Protocol usage notes
  • TTRemoteClient.exe Windows client - Bundled (open source) VS2005 VC++ project
For programmers who want to write their own apps using TTServer as an entry point into Motorola Radio Network - the last 3 x of the above group are important - but it's a large job and I may just do it slowly through this thread.
No Motorola API or protocols will be exposed!
The TTServer API and protocols are my proprietary products but they will be published.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021