P1-P4 Radio Buttons

Please start a new thread for each new topic. This will allow for easy tracking and hopefully, contributions by others
W1VAN

P1-P4 Radio Buttons

Post by W1VAN »

In DMR Radios we have a possibility to scan configured Zones order Zone/Channel groups in case of activity. Is ist possible to add this feature in TransTRBO Console to find-out on/ with configured Zone/Timeslot,/Talking-Group it is activity and stop on it. And after activity continue the scanning (acting as a RF- Scanner ) ?
I think something like this could be done with the addition of the P1 - P4 buttons on the dispatch pane of TransTRBO.
Also the P- buttons could be used for other radio functions like power high/low , VOX on/off, ect, giving up to 8 pre programmed functions on the radio available for use. Seems to be some real estate left on the icon bar next to the "stand by" icon and below the "about" and "help" icons. perhaps a new icon that is labeled "P1-4" and drops a 8 choice menu from there. make it so we can label the icons in the menu for its function.
1) P1 short press = user definable entry
2) P1 long press = user definable entry
3) P2 short press = user definable entry
4) ect

Ivan W1VAN
testing TT1.0.5
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: P1-P4 Radio Buttons

Post by Administrator »

:arrow: On the wish list!
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Ivan,

In the interim I may add a Toolbar button that will launch a generic "Radio Head" simulator.
It's been in the works for a while (sans audio) but the P1-P4 with short and long Press will work.

Suggestions ?

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
wcollier

Post by wcollier »

This is just another voice/vote for the P1 - P4 button request. It would be very valuable to map those buttons to the console screen if nothing else. They have a multitude of uses out there in the world. I just installed TransTRBO and I immediately was looking for the buttons...if that tells you anything :)

Thanks!

Will, KB5WRK
Will, KB5WRK
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Will,

From interests sake - and from your experience do "Commercial Users" use the P1-P4 buttons or is this peculiar to Hams - it seems a few Volunteer organisations use TransTRBO - so any comments from them would be appreciated?

The reason I ask is TransTRBO only has a very cut down version of the Radio's front panel (I didn't think it was important at the time??? - hence the question) ... whereas XcmpXnl.exe had a more comprehensive "simulated" front panel - so, If you can find a copy of XcmpXnl.exe floating around on the net - have a look at it and please let me know if in your opinion, it would be helpful if a user could select/switch between the current display and the more "Fully Featured" XcmpXnl.exe type display (I hope that sounds correct).

Below is a snip of what I would consider the "important part" from XcmpXnl.exe's actual display area (Maybe add a Zone+ button)

Feedback is definitely appreciated - IMO the more heads the better!

cheers
Will B
Living proof 2021
wcollier

Post by wcollier »

Will,

There's no doubt the P1 - P4 buttons are used extensively in commercial applications. However within the context of a dispatch environment where they'd be used with TransTRBO, its to a lesser degree.

Here in the states, it is very rare (pretty much never) that you see MotoTrbo in Public Safety applications with the exception of private security organizations. That leaves a many different other commercial customers small, medium, and on occasion, very large (with multiple Connect Plus sites etc). And what I'm getting at... some of those smaller customers, in a dispatch setup with one radio, might actually want to Scan more than one channel for example. Fairly unusual for dispatch as a concept, but it has certainly been requested/implemented when dealing with these small non-public safety folks. That's where the P1 - P4 comes in to play. Scan is assigned to one of those buttons.

Other examples might include a Manual Site Roam button, if they're using a repeater, and have their primary talkgroup setup to roam to a backup. Another P1 - P4. Hitting that button gets them to the backup immediately instead of waiting for a roam.

Also in rare case it can be setup for VOX control on/off toggle.

TransTRBO has covered most everything with its built in functionality, but by adding access to those buttons, it would certainly round it out.

I do believe I have a copy of the XcmpXnl.exe. I'll install it and check it out. To answer your question though, I always think the availability of more options are good, but in practice, the vast majority of our customers would not get the 'extended' XcmpXnl.exe style control head. Far too many buttons. The ability to 'switch over' to something like that in certain cases though might be good.

My preference would be to add the P1 - P4 buttons to the main interface of the UI. Not even necessarily on the radio control head, but in the UI itself, say in the Dispatcher Tab, Radio Control Section. And Will, maybe you don't add all 4 buttons. Maybe its just P1 and P2 if space is a concern. I can't think of any dispatch application where we would need all 4.

Your interim solution would be good and appreciated.

Thanks for your efforts!
Will, KB5WRK
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Will et al,

As soon as I add a page to these forums for TTServer I'll get onto this (plus the Zone read as well).

Hopefully sometime this weekend.

cheers
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

Thanks to Will C for hassling me and testing the prototypes I think we now have Radio Buttons P1-P4 working try them out in (latest) Vn 0.1.1.2 update released 8 December 2015.

cheers
Will B
Living proof 2021
wcollier

Post by wcollier »

... the stick I poked him with was not very sharp...

The P1 - P4 buttons work great. This adds quite a bit of extra potential functionality. Thank you sir!

Will, KB5WRK
Will, KB5WRK
W1VAN

Post by W1VAN »

P- buttons
Nice addition to the TransTRBO dashboard! Thanks Will B.

Ivan, W1VAN