Automatic Download of Maps?

Please start a new thread for each new topic. This will allow for easy tracking and hopefully, contributions by others
N7SLC

Automatic Download of Maps?

Post by N7SLC »

I wonder if it's possible to have the software automatically download an area of the map when it comes up black?

OR

Is there a possibility of downloading maps for an entire coverage area for offline use?

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Download of Maps?

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan

The MTNetTester.exe will allow you to achieve your 2nd request.

I'll send you a private link.

Remember - that if you hammer Google(TM) too hard it will, send placeholders and you'll have to wait a while to start downloading again.
Others can also download maps and you can share the tiles. (They are just standard *.png images - the names indicate Google's Zoom and Tile X, Y positions).

NB: Did you fix the Error 0x16 problem?

cheers
Will B
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Thanks Will!

Yes sir, the radio with it's tiny built-in GPS antenna just needed a better view of the sky.

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

I like the idea of an "Auto download of maps" - may need a configurations "switch" to enable/disable it.

The biggest problem may be trying to detect when Google(TM) just sends the no map "place holder" image.

But if others can live with that (those *.png's will need manual deletion) then I'll definitely add it to the To Do List ;) ).

Thanks for the suggestion.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Hey Will,

I just had another thought on the map discussion. Along with the auto map download "switch", would it be possible to have MIN and MAX zoom level limits? For example, if the zoom levels are between 0 (you can see an entire country) and 15 (you can see a house on your street) the user would be able to set something like 2 & 7 so you could define what you want to see without seeing it all(the entire country) or the finest details (the house on my street).

I hope that didn't confuse you because it sure did me for a moment!

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

mmm - I'm just thinking that that level of control may be better suited to MTNetTester as adding something with that complexity to TransTRBO .. may just be asking for trouble. Whereas going to a position or Zoom level where maps are missing should be a lot simpler to implement - multiple Zooms ... who knows. TransTRBO would be improved if a Tile(s) was detected as missing - a switch allowing Auto download of tiles would be advantageous (but TT must still detect if Internet is available etc and Timeouts are painful to wait for).

I'll give you some background - for this kind of zooming you really need to be able to select your central point from the highest level of Zoom you are interested in ... i.e. you then need to burrow down from the top (lowest Zoom) Google supplies zoom levels from 0 - 23 IIRC until you find your point of interest.

Alternatively, what may be nicer is a high level approach - where you can select the entire area you wish to download (say like Dragging a Rectangle over a map region) and then select the types of Google display (Roadmap, Terrain, Satellite, Hybrid etc) you want and then select the levels of Zoom you want - now that in a separate App, would be a lot simpler - like most things adding complexity + bugs can have a cascading effect on the rest of the App.

We could also set/adjust the request rate and get say 400 tiles per minute - kick it off and walk away for a while. ;)

Have a think about those suggestions - as I appreciate the feedback.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Administrator wrote:
Alternatively, what may be nicer is a high level approach - where you can select the entire area you wish to download (say like Dragging a Rectangle over a map region) and then select the types of Google display (Roadmap, Terrain, Satellite, Hybrid etc) you want and then select the levels of Zoom you want - now that in a separate App, would be a lot simpler - like most things adding complexity + bugs can have a cascading effect on the rest of the App.

We could also set/adjust the request rate and get say 400 tiles per minute - kick it off and walk away for a while. ;)
Now you're on to something! Highlight an area with a rectangle and batch download your selected zoom levels. I think that'd be great as a companion application. Speaking of applications, can you send me that link for MTNetTester in the interim?

Thank you VERY much!

It's almost 10PM here and work starts early. I'm looking forward to further testing of TT tomorrow.

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Update

Hi guys,

This is moving along - the hard part for me is coding the graphics (which I've now become reasonably proficient at :shock: ).

Points of interest (so far)
  1. #1 Locate and Zoom to a central point (double Click Left button) and press Located button
  2. #2 Red lines indicate a Tile at the selected Zoom level (blue shows that Tile's 4 x children - my experimentation)
  3. Select Extent of download/Map region by Left Button click and dragging it (purple)
    #3 is the Start point (or End point)
    #4 is the End point (or Start point)
  4. Press Visualise button and Zoom In to see the Tiles required for the selected Sub-Zoom level #5
  5. #6 Will show you how many tiles will needed for the selected Extent at that Sub-Zoom level
  6. I'll now add different coloured tiles for existing/missing map tiles

Added existing and Missing Map Tiles
(NB: Different Selected Region/Extent)

FYI: this should also be available for other Mapping sources.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021