Adding a mobile GPS Enabled Base Station

Please start a new thread for each new topic. This will allow for easy tracking and hopefully, contributions by others
GaryL245

Adding a mobile GPS Enabled Base Station

Post by GaryL245 »

Will, In our application of TransTRBO, we may be using it in a mobile environment. It will be Installed in a mobile communications trailer that would be sent to a located at or near a disaster area. It would be very helpful to be able to use the GPS capability of the command radio to pin point the trailers exact location. In my application I am using a Motorola 5550 mobile radio with the external GPS antenna attached. We have been unable to get TT to recognize the GPS location (we can read the lat/long on the radio screen) from the command radio and send it to the TT map. (by the way, our communications trailer has a high speed satellite internet connection so we can get updated Google maps wherever we are located.) Currently, I have to look the location up on Google or a GPS unit and enter them manually into the TT map config page. -- Gary
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Adding a mobile GPS Enabled Base Station

Post by Administrator »

Hi Gary,

For testing purposes did you add your Base Station radio to the Poll list?

On the Location window -> Rt Click "Poll List" (under Base Station Data) -> Start Polling Radio #1

Using the crappy Dialog add your base station
  1. Enter Radio number #1
  2. Enter Poll Period #2 (for testing say 2 x minutes)
  3. Select Simple Point #3
  4. Press Add Poll

If that doesn't work ..
Do you have a copy of MTNetTester.exe ?
(You'll need to use it with NetRoute.exe and without TransTRBO running).

cheers
Will
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
lymefire18

Post by lymefire18 »

Will, our organization will also be doing a similar thing which we had discussed in emails. I looked through and noticed on the FAQ page that there was this response from a while ago:
Q7. Can I track my own Base Station's position?
A7. Yes, a GPS enabled "portable" Base Station Radio, a laptop plus a vehicle, can be used to track your own vehicle (i.e a boat etc)
Just enter your Base Station Radio number as though it was any other remote radio in the GPS "poll" list.
(If anyone is doing this, please let me know and I'll think about doing a proper integration, including a moving "Base" Icon, centralising the maps etc.

I am curious if that integration could still happen. If TT could recognize that it is polling the GPS position of the "base radio" and then automatically center it in the maps. I think this would work well if possible, especially if the maps have been downloaded for the area previously and come up without having to download them.
GaryL245

Post by GaryL245 »

lymefire18, I have been trying to do this for a while with not to much success. I am using a Motorola 5550 for the base radio (sometimes a Motorola 7550) that is equipped with an external GPS antenna. I am getting solid GPS readings into the 5550, but can't seem to get them over to the map. I've tried a number of configurations both at the radio end and at the TT end to no avail. I tried Will's last suggestion (above your post) and did not see any difference. I'm not the strongest technician on Motorola radios and feel that most of the issues I've had so far with TT seem to be on my end. Any help or insight would be welcome. -- Gary
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Gary et al,

Please download MTArsWatcher.exe and NetRoute.exe from http://www.trbotools.com

I will sent Gary a link to MTNetTester.exe - for a start (it is not approved for public distribution).

It is much easier to test GPS/TMS/ICMP/Google Map downloads with these “tools” – without the overhead of TransTRBO (so don’t have TT running when using NetRoute.exe, MTNetTester.exe and MTArsWatcher.exe).

NetRoute.exe will set up the Windows Net Routing Tables based on the IP of the Network Adapter that you choose (usually Base Station Radio).
MTArsWatcher.exe - can passively monitor the ARS messages sent by ARS enabled radios, whose ARS destination points to the Base Station Radio ID - including those FROM the Base Station Radio (BSR) itself.
MTNetTester.exe - will allow simple ICMP, TMS and LRRP testing. It will convert Radio ID's to Network IP's based on the CAI.
It will allow you to send ICMP pings to any radios on the network, including the BSR. It will also allow you to send Text Messages to individual radios or Groups. Additionally, it will allow you to request GPS information from Remote Radios and hopefully the BSR itself (it was working in a different project than TT).

Setup Steps
  1. Run NetRoute and in "Route Manipulation" select the Network Adapter (Src Ip drop-down list)
  2. For the BSR (normally 192.168.10.xxx)
  3. Press Add Route button
  4. Check that the display (Line 1) for SUCCESS - on success hit List button to show Windows Route Table
If Step #3 FAILs - then the Radio Network adapter may already be in the Windows Route Table.

On SUCCESS (line 1) - the MTArsWatcher.exe and MTNetTester.exe applications should now send their requests to the correct Radio Adapter.
(You can close NetRoute.exe and the route entries will stay in the table until the User logs off or the PC is shut down).

I'll add notes on those 2 x Apps shortly

cheers
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Using MTNetTester to check GPS

Post by Administrator »

MTNetTester Notes

Base Station Radio aka BSR

This assumes you have used NetRoute.exe to setup the Window’s PC Route Table.

#1. Select the adapter to the Radio (USB/Bluetooth)
#2. Start the GPS/LRRP Server
#3. Enter the Radio ID for either the BSR or another remote Radio
#4. Press ID 2 IP converter button
#5. BSR or remote radio’s IP should now appear here
#6. Select Simple Point (for initial testing)
#7. Select Poll (for initial testing)
#8. Press Send button to send the GPS/LRRP request
#9. Rx/Tx Activity will be displayed here
#10. Will pop up another Dialog with Google maps and a 5 x slot Radio Poll list (next step)

Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

Phill has lent me a DM4601 to use as a GPS enable Base Station (+ 4 x line colour display).

FYI: It is responding to a "Raw GPS Poll" - so I may have a bug in the Auto Poll engine. :(
I'll get onto this as soon as I have a beta of GoogleTileDownloader.exe
See: http://www.transtrbo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

FYI - I have checked Polling of the Base Station Radio(BSR) for GPS position and discovered what is happening.

I'm not sure if earlier radios/firmware acted differently to what this DM4601 (that I'm testing) does. But this radio (IMO) breaks /V\'s design/LRRP protocol and doesn't respond using the destination IP that the request was sent to. This is only a problem for a directly (LAN) connected radio - i.e. the BSR

So the GPS request and response all work cool and fruity - just that the radio firmware appears to break its own LRRP protocol. :(

What I have to consider now is how to treat the BSR ... as it (this DM4601) can't be treated like other remote radios. (Or TMS, ARS for that matter).

I think I'll set rules to enforce consistency, which will only be applicable to Getting GPS Data from the BSR.
i.e.
  1. BSR Cannot use Revert Channel
  2. BSR can only use Poll - not trigger
  3. BSR will be polled directly
(This will all be handled internally - probably through Configuration - and selecting/setting a "Mobile BSR" Checkbox flag somewhere).

Hopefully this won't break anything that others are using.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
lymefire18

Post by lymefire18 »

Thanks for the update Will. Glad you have found the issue!

-Josh
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

lymefire18 wrote:Thanks for the update Will. Glad you have found the issue!

-Josh
Hi Josh,

Slowly getting it going ...
This is where the Configuration will go ...

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021