GPS Setup Help

This section will assist with your initial set up of TransTRBO.
Administrator
Site Admin

GPS Setup Help

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

Here are some brief notes on setting up GPS on TransTRBO

http://www.transtrbo.com/files/TransTRBOGPS.pdf

cheers
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
NLewis

Re: GPS Setup Help

Post by NLewis »

I have done at this, I have my ARS Radio ID for my control station as the recommended Motorola ID of 16448250 and all my radio's have this programmed in the ARS Radio ID spot but the radio's are not showing up on the ARS list on TransTRBO and I'm getting a GPS error (16) when I try to poll for GPS.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi NLewis,

If you and Phill work out the problem please post your findings here.

BTW: 16448250(decimal) = 0xFAFAFA(hexadecimal) - unusual number - does anyone else use or know why this number is preferred?

Also, I'll be adding some TransTRBO setup/configuration tools to http://www.trbotools.com shortly. They may be of some assistance with these types of problems.

regards
Will B
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

HI Guys,

I just setup GPS as well but I'm using ID 64250 for the base and I'm also getting the "Start fail 0x16" error. Do you have a list of what the errors indicate?

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

That failure ID indicates that the GPS is responding but is unable to acquire the required information.

Maybe ensure that the radio is picking up a strong enough GPS signal.

The GPS icon on the radio will give you some clues.

cheers
Will B
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Thanks Will. I made sure the radio had clear view of the sky and it reported back perfectly.

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

The error code 0x16 is the direct reply that I receive from the radio (Motorola defined). I will check it again - hopefully today, when I get back from my long weekend. ;)

Also, may I suggest just polling a single radio for a "Simple Point".

cheers
Will

P.S: I'm user the older GPS protocol - IIRC the newer one uses a combined ARS + GPS reply - is there any configuration in CPS that reflects this?
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Administrator wrote:
P.S: I'm user the older GPS protocol - IIRC the newer one uses a combined ARS + GPS reply - is there any configuration in CPS that reflects this?
Nothing in CPS that I know of. I tested the GPS with a XPR6550 and XPR7550 and they were both working fine. Although, it rarely updates their position automatically. I have to reload the list to get their positions to update.
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

Did you read the notes regarding the 3 x different types of GPS commands
1. Poll
2. Periodic
3. One Shot?

http://www.transtrbo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29

OK - just rereading - XPR6550 and XPR7550 working fine - Good! :D

What part/radio isn't working please ...

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

HI Will,

Since I'm working with just two radios at the moment, I've got TT setup to poll in 1-minute intervals. One of my coworkers was out and about all day today so I sent him with the XPR7550. No voice calls, just set it in the vehicles cup holder and left it on as he traveled about. There are times when it does automatically update his position but then it'll just stop. The only way to get it back going is to clear the list and reload it. Often times, even that won't get it going.

The software is loaded onto a Core I7 laptop with 16GB of RAM and Windows 10. I have a large collection of various Motorola CPS applications installed on it as well and the only I get the "server timeout error" as noted in one of the other threads, is when I've got Mototrbo CPS open at the same time as TT.

I'm running the SQLite for GPS and the system I'm testing on is running in Capacity Plus mode.

Dan