GPS Setup Help

This section will assist with your initial set up of TransTRBO.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: GPS Setup Help

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

Is ARS working on TransTRBO and do you have it displaying? (Colour will change if Radio is detected).
If you only have 2 x radios may I suggest you:-

1. Set the ARS sample period to 1 (i.e 30 x minutes)
2. Create a new GPS List for a single remote radio only
3. Select one Radio into the list
4. Set Request Type: Trigger
5. Select GPS Data Request: Simple point
6. Set Request Period: 2 Minutes

1 x minute GPS frequency is not recommended by Motorola - but I would have assumed it would be OK for 1 x Radio ??

cheers
Will
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

HI Will,

To be honest, I haven't noticed the radios in the list changing colors, so maybe ARS isn't working. That would certainly explain the update issue. I'll try your suggested setup and will report back.

Thanks,

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Dan,

I've just checked the MTArsWatcher app and found that a lot of problems are due to mis-configured Base Station and Remote Radios - Phill is my best bet with these kind of errors.

Anyway - I just found some configuration problems and I can now see the Base station sending out ARS messages - I'm not sure if that's good or not ;)

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Administrator wrote: I've just checked the MTArsWatcher app and found that a lot of problems are due to mis-configured Base Station and Remote Radios - Phill is my best bet with these kind of errors.
I buy that. Although I've programmed my radios off of a previous project I had using ARS for a console so I'm fairly confident in my radio configuration. That said, I'm human and there's always a chance that I still have something configured incorrectly.
Administrator wrote:Anyway - I just found some configuration problems and I can now see the Base station sending out ARS messages - I'm not sure if that's good or not ;)
Can you elaborate on the configuration changes you made? The base station itself should be sending out ARS messages as directed by TT but if it's sending them by itself, that would be an issue. The ARS address in the base station should be left blank. We don't want the base trying to transmit ARS data to itself...or do we? No, I'm pretty sure it should remain blank.

Thanks,

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi all,

For those interested - all the problems vanished when Dan installed TT on a pristine PC.

Who knows what Motorola remnants were left behind from ...

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
PSummerhawk

Post by PSummerhawk »

Question on the GPS setup, I use the laptop which is a toughbook CF-19 with built in GPS. Any way in the program to use that GPS for my location or does it have to be radio based? The laptop sees it as a serial GPS on Com 3 if that helps.
Thanks for the information in advance!

Peter
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Peter,

Is Com3: the internal access to the GPS?
Do you have specs on the protocol used? (NMEA?)
Are you willing to test any mods? :twisted:

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021