User interface

Please start a new thread for each new topic. This will allow for easy tracking and hopefully, contributions by others
PSummerhawk

User interface

Post by PSummerhawk »

While I like the idea of the program the user interface for the buttons I think could be better placed on the right click on a contact name if possible? When we are in the middle of an ARES net which we us the TRBO system a lot it would make it easier to right click on a contact to be able to access the Check, Enable, Disable, Monitor and DeKey functions. Having to type is a radio ID number is a pain in the rear when your in the middle of net control and have to look the number up. Right click might also be handy to add the Private Call or group call as well. Is there a way to drag and drop contacts into a group? We have several units that are teams and making them contact groups as they shuffle around would be great to make sure that the only the one group is called and not the other.

As a side note there is no way to send a text message with right click on contacts in the unknown list? I get Modify or Delete when this happens.

It might be nice to see who is on the net with a color coded icon or changing the color of the text on the user that is logged into the system. That way Net Control (or Dispatch if you want) can see at a glace who is and who is not logged into a particular system. May be an ACK of the radio when the request is sent?

Just ideas of course but we are still playing with system as well as the TurboVui Dispatch software but the licensing for that is way beyond the price range of what us hams can afford.

Thanks
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: User interface

Post by Administrator »

Hi Peter,

What version of TT are you using - I have "Send Text" as an option when Right Clicking a Radio (Subscribers) in the Contact List.
:oops: Just noticed - you were referring to the Unknown List - well there's not much I can do with an "Unknown" as I have no associated Group or Subscriber number - that's why it's unknown.

FYI: Vn 0.1.0.5 now has available on the Radio (Right Click) Menu:-
  • Radio Check
  • Radio Enable
  • Radio Disable
  • Radio Monitor
  • Radio DeKey
Also, I have added "Private Alert" call from Contacts - Radio Menu.

I will make that available for download today.

cheers
Will
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
PSummerhawk

Post by PSummerhawk »

Hey will and the group, Is there a way to move the contacts from the unknown list to contacts? The user ID in my radio have usernames when read but I cant figure out how to move then into the contracts list from the unknown list. Also is there a way the program could send a "radio check" in the system to see if a radio was logged in? Maybe change the user interface to go from normal text to bold of the radio is logged into the system that we are using? Having to right click each radio and see if its on takes tome but a quick glace at a user name would allow our net control to see who is logged in and who is not. I know its a lot to ask but it makes it easier to see who has a radio on and logged into the system.

I am also having problems creating user groups, is it because that's the contacts are in the unknown list and not regular contacts? Still learning the ropes on this program and its always nice to have the support here and the updates.

Thanks,

Peter
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions - for ARS enabled radios this should be quite do-able and is now on the "To Do" list.

As to the other suggestion - I may write some code that will read the CPS "print out" of radios and Groups and then update the Databases with that info.
Added to the "To Do" list.

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Peter,

Contact list now shows the ARS connection state (for radios only):-
Blue - connected
Red - response expired
Black - De-registered or not known.

cheers
Will

To be released in Vn 0.1.0.6 or Release 1.0.0.0 ;)
Living proof 2021
GaryL245

Post by GaryL245 »

I'm going to caveat this by saying so far, I have spent more time working on the installation than using the program. I've notice two things that may be because I have not figured it all out or could be improved.
1. When in the dispatch mode, going between group message, private call and text message it looks like you have to bring up the dispatch buttons, select the transmission option and then follow the procedure for that function. As soon as you select a button the whole line disappears. I put the buttons for text, private and group calls on the top line so I could just click on them. It would be nice if they were a bit bigger as "Old man me" has to squint to figure out which to click on.
2. When you hit the priority button if you click on a selected user it fills the radio ID on the Private call ptt splash screen. If I do the same thing with a text message it does not and I have to manually key it in. It would be nice if it filled the radio ID on the text ptt slash screen.
3. Can you have all three splash screens (group, private and text) on the computer screen at the same time so you can move back and forth as required?

Thanks for all your help. I really like TransTRBO and look forward to having it operational for our emergency communications. -- Gary
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Gary,

I'm nearly ready look at this but I have a lot of trouble understanding what you are getting at. I think I use different terms to you. Please bear in mind that I'm not a Ham - and things that may be common place to you - aren't to me. :?

1. "Dispatch Mode"? I think it is always in Dispatch Mode.
2. "Transmission Option" - again unsure of what this is.
3. ..."Select a button" ... which button (my asperger's is confused at this point ;) ).
4. Which "line disappears" - OMG :cry:
5. (I recently converted all toolbar buttons back to the ones used in the Touch Screen - I'm in my mid 60's but I don't know how 1VAN copes on his 42" screen ;) ) ...
6. I'm not sure what the "Priority button" is ?

Simple step x step is what I need or small screen shots of the steps - I'm sorry but that's how my brain works. :oops:

GeekSpeak=> About the text message - I gather when you select "Send Text" from the Rt Click menu on a Radio/Subscriber List the Radio ID is not transferred to the Radio ID field in the Text Message Dialog - if so - it sounds like a bug and I'll look at it - ty. ;)

In programmer-speak, Splash screens are usually the large "almost advert like window" that usually "pops up" when an Application starts.

I call the "small windows" that I think you are referring to, as "Key Pads" ..
(Maybe you could help with a lexicon - I'm sure there are plenty of others who are confused by the terms I use. :o )

Your #3. currently isn't implemented but you can achieve similar functionality from Favourites keys.
:idea: But IMO it sounds like a great enhancement - would you mind putting that suggestion in a new thread in the wish list - as it should be fairly easy to implement - and I'd like to hear what some of the others think. :D

Thanks for the input - (BTW I've found and fixed a few bugs in the SQLite/GPS area - so thanks for getting me to retest it :D).

cheers
Will
Living proof 2021
no7rf

Post by no7rf »

I gotta chuckle over this. Sorry.

I'm in my sorta mid 60's and just got a smart watch, so you can look at Ham Radio.

Will, ya gotta get an Amateur Radio license. I think there is a DMR repeater in Christ Church. Then we all can play in the geek-speech sandbox.

My best!
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

G'day Mike,

Great to hear from you - yeah - you buggers are quite a bit of fun to listen to - I'll look into it.
Christ Church is in bloody "Nu Zullund" (how the Kiwi's pronounce it - New Zealand for true speakers of English. (I'll see if any Kiwi bites ;) ).

My mate Phill says there's a DMR repeater here in AUS - but it was hard to pick up (or something).

I may look at writing some VOIP that will get me into someone "over there"'s Radio network .. isn't that what the C-bridges do?

BTW: Have you managed to work out how to:- get the Time from your Smart Watch! :D

cheers mate
Will
Living proof 2021
no7rf

Re: User interface...or How to Hijack a Thread...

Post by no7rf »

opps...large gaf my friend...the c-Bridge quy is is in Christ Church...I never was bright generally or in geography specifically. ;-)

The c-Bridges tie repeaters into "large" IPSC networks that are tied together as well as send talkgroup traffic among the c-Bridges. They don't do RoIp but then again, they do support up to 2 analog links as an expensive option.

The smart watch was because I don't answer the phone and tend not to pull out my phone for the latest Emails...the watch is so darn convenient for notifications...now I'm on top of it. Who knew!