Authorisation key

Please start a new thread for each new topic. This will allow for easy tracking and hopefully, contributions by others
g6fgy

Authorisation key

Post by g6fgy »

Is there any possibility that an authorisation key system could be implemented in such as way as to keep the current safeguards of potential misuse and audit in place, but at the same time permit valid key holders to re-install or do modifications to their system, that would otherwise require a request for yet another key?

I run Windows as a virtual machine on a Linux system and the program runs well in that environment, so I'm greatful for that. However, it would be nice to be able to 'play' with that system and to try various tweaks and modifications etc., not only to get the best out of it, but also to experiment. At this time I'm reluctant to do so, as it may result in un-recoverable crashes that would require either a complete re-install or repair that may invalidate my current key. It also means that I'm unable to make any potential service affecting changes to the underlying Linux system that may also require the re-installation of the Virtual Machine.

Neither do I wish to keep flooding your email with repeated requests for new keys :)

Eric - G6FGY in the UK
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Authorisation key

Post by Administrator »

Hi Eric,

Apologies for the delay in responding, I'll have a think and listen to suggestions as I now basically have a volunteer version that is readily available but may be a little bit annoying - maybe I could make it very annoying and remove the registration ;)

I'll try and finish some more of the GPS display stuff and get you to give this a bump in a week or so.

cheers
Will
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021
g6fgy

Post by g6fgy »

Cheers Will,

Thanks again for the time you put into this project, and the willingness with which you've embraced ideas etc from the radio amateur community.

Eric - G6FGY in the UK
N7SLC

Post by N7SLC »

Hello Will!

I'm with Eric on this one. Like Eric, I hate to keep requesting keys whenever a non-recoverable change is made (software update and I fail to read the instructions or when the PC changes - like I did two weeks ago to bug test).

I like the registration removal idea for the volunteer version.

Could the software be implemented so that it looks for the radio serial number only on the commercial version?

To echo Eric's comments, thanks for all your hard work on this!

Thanks,

Dan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi guys,

For the interim it is by far, easier for me to just regenerate a key - more of a pain for you - but there is always a bit of work in changing the code plus the "Phantom Menace" of introduced bugs and then the damn testing ;)

cheers
Will
Geriatrics Generate Methane.
Grafitti Clifton Hill 1974
Living proof 2021